I'm not sure anyone can truly "teach" you on how to prepare for either topic, because in the end, anything can happen and each situation is very different. We came into the all day class very open minded and curious about what we'd learn, and left feeling pretty good about what the next 49 days will hold.
Childbirth: If you really want to scare new mom's into a drug free delivery, take this class. There was no holding back on the truth and video about what would entail and just how painful it can truly be. They really get you through about an hour and a half of talk and video before the word "epidural" is even mentioned! The birth scene was not as bad as the classic "Miracle of Life" scene, but still pretty graphic. Michael and I, and I think the rest of the class as well, all found it pretty interesting to see live footage of the delivery of the placenta. Never saw footage of that before and well, it was pretty gross, but interesting nonetheless. It looked like the woman was giving birth to a liver or some other organ. Pretty cool. They also make it a point to teach you breathing techniques to help distract you from the oh-so-painful contractions. Unfortunately for us, I seemed to have to coach Michael! He was "he he he-ing" and "who-ing" at such a fast tempo, we both would've needed oxygen! So after seeing this video and breathing lessons (thankfully not on too empty of a stomach) they finally speak to you about the wonders of an epidural. Ahhhhhhh, well, now that sounds a LOT better! Certainly something I paid very close attention to because now I know for sure, if it's available, and it's safe (which it is), it's mine! I'd really like to leave wanting to have more children in the future and if I can make the process a little less traumatizing, then that is right up my alley! Bring on the drugs!
Parenting: No one can sufficiently teach you how to be a good parent. I think it all comes with practice and experience, but they can teach you some basics in terms of care of a newborn. I thought it awfully funny to have been presented with a doll, not a life like one, but rather a Sesame Street or Muppet type doll that was supposed to resemble an infant. Once I got over the fact we were playing dress up on this doll, I tried to imagine it as a real baby, but just couldn't - it was too funny. So what does one want to teach you about the basics of infant care? For starters, how to hold the baby. Ok ok, well I guess some people need reinforcement or lessons on that. Next, how to change a diaper - I thought this would be pretty common sense, but as it turns out, there are actually techniques and pointers. I guess diaper companies got smart since there must've been so many new parents putting diapers on backwards, that they have made it easier than ever to make sure your new little one has his/her diaper on right! The "pretty picture," or design will be in the front! And to my surprise, no more sticky tabs - all velcro. So we passed task one and two and now it was time to "dress the baby." Before I knew it, Michael had the poor doll's shirt on backwards. Once corrected, he got the hang of it and we were ready to practice swaddling. After we both practiced and did pretty well with that, I decided that it actually seemed easier than I originally thought, however this was with a doll, not a real baby.
After a long day, you leave with a DVD that will help teach us more things about bringing home baby do's and don'ts and lots of literature and free stuff. All in all, a pretty successful day and certainly one to remember!
Lots of laughs and lots of seriousness - that is exactly how I see us being as parents.
Sunday, February 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment