Thursday, March 13, 2008

Surviving

Well as new parents, we've certainly experienced a variety of emotions and tasks in the past week or so. We keep reminding ourselves, and have adopted the mantra: "no one said it would be easy." We have good nights, and bad, but lately a couple of really GOOD ones, so we're trying not to jinx it! The basic rule of thumb for us, in terms of remedying any crying has been the following:
1. check diaper
2. check if he's hungry
3. maybe he just wants to be held

If one of those hits the button...GREAT, but if not, it is quite stressful! Thankfully, between the two of us, we've been able to remedy things pretty quickly and are helping Jack adjust and adapt quite nicely. He really enjoyed his first full week home last week and this week has been adjusting to life with Mommy while Daddy headed back to work. My greatest challenge: getting in nap time! I am really learning to value the extra hour or two I can get when he's sleeping and have a hard time choosing nap time vs. "things I want to take care of." I guess it all depends on how tired I am (or get) and I am learning to prioritize nap time over anything else when need be (even if that means no making the bed for one day!).

The good news of this week was that Jack weighed in at 6 lbs. even on Monday. A week previous, he was 5.5 lbs. so the Doctor was VERY pleased! Usually it takes babies two weeks to get back to their birth weight (which would've been 5 lbs. 10 oz.), but obviously our little eater beat that and all within just ten days!

Here are some highlights from Jack's first full week home last week:

No comments: